Over the last few months, I started to realize how very unusual Christmas celebrations are here in Southern California. While we do get snow, we have to go to the mountains for it. While we may bundle up, it’s because we can’t handle anything less than 60°F. We’re chickens, you guys.
Yet people brave holiday airport craziness just to visit places like this. THEY WANT TO GET AWAY FROM THE SNOW. I don’t get it, but I have also never lived in a snowy place.
I will confess, I recognize the perks. It’s like living in a resort town but it’s so much more accessible because my car and home are here and I even know my way around (for the record, the 405 is always totally jaaahhmmed). My life is basically like a vacation, except I have a job and responsibilities to attend to.
So what’s a vacation without fruity, frilly drinks? Not a vacation, that’s what. But since it’s the holidays, there also has to be a holiday twist.
Thus was born the California Christmas Colada, a twist on the Piña Colada made with Egg Nog (YEAH. I like egg nog. Whaddabaddit?) and coconut rum. Hellz yeah. What’s great about this recipe is that the use of DOLE Frozen Pineapple Chunks means you don’t have to use ice and risk diluting your delightful, frosty cup of Christmas cheer.
Recipe: California Christmas Colada
Summary: A frosty, holiday take on the piña colada, made with eggnog, DOLE Frozen Pineapple Chunks, and coconut rum.
- 6 oz Eggnog (I use Silk Holiday Nog because lactose intolerance)
- 2 cups DOLE Frozen Pineapple Chunks
- 3 oz Coconut Rum
- 1 oz Dark Rum (or if you feel so inclined, as I often do, Bourbon)
- Put everything but the dark rum in the blender. Whip until it’s smooth and frothy. If it’s a little thick for your taste, add 2 parts eggnog to 1 part coconut rum. Note that different nogs have different consistencies, so adjust accordingly!
- Serve with a float of dark rum. This recipe makes 2 servings.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 2